Tuesday 6 January 2009

Breaking code with a feather touch, and: too many meetings

So under the new team structure I'm supposed to be doing loads more manual testing (as opposed to team management, which is what I really enjoy and why I'm a "lead" and not a "senior technical tester" or something like that) ...

and I have a huge load of work to get through this week, but haven't been able to touch it until the 1) environment was upgraded with the new code and a fix for the financial servers and 2) I took care of all of that management stuff which hasn't really gone away ...

and the upgrade changed a financial transaction thing from "using the live servers instead of the test servers" (which is really seriously wrong) to "this transaction isn't allowed" (which means I can't even start testing) ...

and then the first defect I tried to test that wasn't about transactions also failed. So even though I wasn't able to get to "real" work until 3 PM (3 PM!) in my work day, what I did work on pretty much crumbled when I touched it.

On the other hand, you know, if everyone coded stuff correctly, I'd be out of a job. I might as well complain that it's cold outside, which it is, but instead I'll complain about having another meeting (to deal with finding enough warm bodies to get through the work backlog by our arbitrary "start people working Agile and stop continuing to support the old work flow" deadline) that will keep me from making more code go 'splodey, because at least when I fail defects early enough, there's a chance they'll get fixed in time for the release.

2 comments:

  1. If everyone coded correctly, you wouldn't be out of a job, instead, you would have time to make sure the customers are expressing the requirements they really want, and do exploratory testing to find the more interesting issues and learn more about the application. So don't worry about that!

    I'm curious whether your team has continuous integration? It sounds like maybe you have trouble getting a build to test? Or is it just that they break the builds?

    ReplyDelete
  2. We don't have continuous integration yet - fixing the build process is another one of the major challenges we're trying to do at the same time as our Agile implementation.

    ReplyDelete