Tuesday 6 January 2009

First scrum - though not with new team

Today I had my first official Scrum meeting - or so it was billed. All things considered it was a status meeting for the little set of bugs we're supposed to get out the door before I can get onto my actual Agile team. The transition is continuing to be difficult; one developer, when asked if he was working on at item that was supposed to be in the release, said, well, he wasn't, as no one had said he should be. It's frustrating that he doesn't know if he's supposed to be doing work, and it's also frustrating that I have some work that I don't know whether or not I'm supposed to be working on. The communication issues between the various group are holding us back right now. At our level, we're not sure which area we're supposed to be working on - our new projects or the old ones. At the same time, there are clearly business owners elsewhere in the business who expect that work is being done for them ... but the information is not being shared.

Meanwhile the rest of the projects that are trying to get out the door before the Great Agile Wall Falls are scrambling for resources - but they're converting to the Agile teams so fast I can't really commit them to be able to work on the other projects. I'm sure this won't all be a big car crash but I'm frustrated that we can't coordinate things as smoothly as we normally would. Can things please be more simple once we're all on the new methodology?

No comments:

Post a Comment